Saturday, July 22, 2006

Alpine Steamboat

shutterjam invited us to his home for a steamboat dinner last Saturday. It was the day before "The Great Water Outage of Penang" that would have affected the whole southeast portion of Penang Island.

I was looking forward to the steamboat dinner. I didn't know how much work would be involved in preparing for a steamboat meal. Now I know the amout of effort my mom made everytime we had a steamboat dinner.

It was a potluck dinner so sp and I went to Tesco to get some ingredients - some "patin" fish, squid, prawns, tang hoon noodles (which we later discovered is called "soh hoon" and nowhere on the package is written the words "tang hoon"), mushrooms and some vegetables.

I didn't know how to gut a fish, so I called mom and she gave us instructions. sp got the hang of it pretty quick! We prepped everything at home but left a few small things to do at shutterjam's home.



There was a flurry of activity at shutterjam's home. Quail eggs were boiled and shelled by sp and bigfish's wife. If I knew shelling eggs were that much fun, I'd join in as well.


We had quite a big spread. shutterjam wanted to try out his new "Princess" multi-purpose cooker and we were willing volunteers.


Steamboat has been around for some time. A quick visit to Wikipedia and we discover:

Hot pot, also known as Steamboat, is a communal dish which originates from Mongolia, but now eaten in a variety of forms throughout East Asia. It consists of a simmering pot of stock at the center of the dining table. While the hot pot is kept simmering, ingredients are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table.

A watched kettle never boils... so is a watched pot. It took a long time for the soup to boil. We can't really blame the multicooker because nowhere on the packaging does it say to use it for steamboat.


Not to worry. We did get to eat the steamboat, and it was pretty good.


This is the part I casually move to the sofa - the cleaning up phase of the evening. Everyone's busy cleaning up the dishes and clearing the leftovers. Me? Well, you can see for yourself. I'm the guy behind the camera.


We had a great time. I was so happy that I suggested we do the next steamboat dinner at our place. Wait... did I read that right? Aaauuuggghhh!!! What have I done?!?

No comments: