Monday, August 21, 2006

Little Shanghai


My parents dropped by during the weekend and we had a great time! On their last night in Penang, we visited a steamboat restaurant in a area called Little Shanghai. We arrived early so the crowd was still thin.

It was a buffet BBQ steamboat affair, although I felt more food was meant for BBQ. Normally SP would use very little oil or butter when cooking, so I watched with amusement as SP and my parents apply gobs after gobs of butter for the BBQ. It was delicious.

Typical of alfresco streamboat dinners, expect to sweat... a lot. We were fortunate to sit at a corner, next to a large fan so we were outside the main crowd where it's the hottest.

The area is a fine example of how to refresh colonial shoplots into trendy and modern establishments without losing their historical heritage. This is a good start and if the momentum continues, I look forward to the future in the heart of Georgetown.

More butter!

No comments: