Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lights! Cameras! Action!


My first DVD is the movie Armageddon. I didn't have a DVD player, and I used my PC to watch the disc. The software was buggy and the movie would only play after several restarts. It took me 3 years before I finally gave in and got myself a DVD player from a local DVD outlet, HK Video. This DVD player lasted me shy of a year before it broke down. I had it repaired under warranty, and barely 6 months later, it broke down again.

I admit I was looking forward to this day. I can finally look for a new DVD player that can playback DivX videos. A quick research on the Internet revealed that the Pioneer DV-383 had good compatibility with a variety of video codecs. The trouble was, it was difficult to find, and the retail price was above RM300.

Unable to find the player, and faced with the prospects of paying a premium for a DVD player, I put aside thoughts of buying the DVD player. Weeks passed and one day, sp came home with a box and said, "I got something for you."

I couldn't believe it! She actually bought the DVD player that I wanted, and I didn't even mention the model to her. Turns out, there was a warehouse sale that day, and she got the DVD player for RM279 (it's actually cheaper, but there was a RM5 charge for using a credit card).

I tried some of the DVDs I have, and they played flawlessly. Then I tried a few discs with DivX movies and series, and they worked! The audio is much louder and better quality compared to playback using my iBook. Video playback on the DVD player looked very good albeit a little darker.

Couch... check! Movies... check! sp... check! Let the show begin!

No comments: