Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Seen my crocs?

I'm not afraid of bucking the trend. I got the LOMO LC-A 35mm camera for RM600. The LOMO LC-A is hardly a technological breakthrough. It doesn't autofocus, it doesn't have automatic film advance, it uses rudimentary exposure metering and it definitely is not worth RM600. I still bought it - perhaps for the hype but I cannot deny the excitement I felt when I used it.

When everyone was excited about digital cameras, I was lusting after a 35mm SLR camera from 1979 - the Nikon EM. It was worth every RM200 I spent for a second hand set with a 50mm prime lens. The exposure metering was dodgy, but when it worked, it produced amazingly well exposed photographs. Other than the dodgy exposure meter, I loved using the Nikon EM. I enjoyed manually focusing the lens, adjusting the aperture and manually advancing the film. I was different from the rest, and I was enjoying photography.

Then my 5 year old Windows PC decided to call it quits. Instead of getting another Windows box, I wanted an Apple computer, and the best bang for my buck was the Apple iBook G4. It ran on a 1.33 GHz processor that was plenty fast for my needs, and I wanted mobility, so I got the 12-inch model. The iBook was the cheapest 12-inch notebook I could get at that time. I looked and no other Windows notebook could offer the same specifications as the iBook at the same price. I was ostracised by my Windows-using friends, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed using the Mac OS and found iPhoto to be extremely useful for organising my photographs. I even produced several DVD slideshows from the weddings I attended as a photographer. And to further buck the trend, I added decals to my iBook.

Now, my latest craze - crocs. I would have gotten a pair if it weren't for the exhorbitant price tag. RM140 for a pair of crocs that are entirely made a compound called Proprietary Closed Cell Resin (PCCR) that's very light, moulds to your feel, grippy on most surfaces, odourless and anti-bacterial. A super material? I call it hype, and I'm buying every raving testimonial on the website.

No comments: