Thursday, March 08, 2007

Serenity's Desktop

There was a post on TUAW about some impressive Quartz Composer Art by a Japanese designer. You could use them as screensavers, but since I don't use screensavers, I wondered if I could have them displayed as my wallpaper. And it turns out I could!

I use a freeware called Quartz Desktop. It appears on the menu bar and is really easy to use. My favourite is the Quartz Composer Art called Rimpa. You can see it running on my desktop from the video below. Quartz Desktop running Rimpa takes an average 40% of Serenity's 1.33 GHz G4 Power PC CPU cycles. Quartz is supposed to offload some of the task to the graphics card, but maybe Serenity's Radeon 9550 graphics card is not quite up to the challenge.

Anyways, I can still do my normal web browsing, watch videos and listen to music. Maybe when I'm doing something more processor intensive, I'll turn of Quartz Desktop. The rest of the time, I'll enjoy being mesmerised by Serenity's desktop.

No comments: