Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter - So The Drama

Yes, the next and final installment of the Harry Potter series is about to be unveiled tomorrow. And already, the drama has started.

According to The Star, several bookstores - MPH, Popular, Harris (never heard of them...) and Times - will NOT be selling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows tomorrow. Wow.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

MPH, Popular, Harris and Times at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur at 4pm announced that they would not sell Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in protest against Carrefour and Tesco selling the book at a hefty discount.

The recommended retail price of RM109.90 is being violated by hypermarkets advertising and selling it at RM69.90, the bookstores said.

Since Amazon is already selling the book at 50% discount, I'm going about to see if I can get a colleague who's over in US to get me a copy, and bring it back for me when he returns.

I've got the earlier 6 books the same way. Although books 1-5 were gotten in a not so ethical manner. It was like this. I ordered the set from Barnes & Nobles online. I was told it would take 2 weeks to deliver. 2 weeks came and passed, and naturally I was concerned. I emailed their customer support person and told them my predicament. To my relief, I was told they'd refund my money and that I could make another order. Guess what happened the next day? I received the package, and I got the refund!

In my defense, I did inform the customer support person that I've received the package and told them to take back my refund. Instead, I got a nice "Thank You" email from them, with hopes that I'd continue to purchase books from them.

There's no rush for me to get the 7th book. I've still got to refresh my memory, so I've started reading the 6th book since a few days ago.



No comments: