Monday, July 09, 2007

Transformers, fun. Bakerzin, wanting.

Two and a half hours later, I was dusting popcorn crumbs off my shirt, SP was chatting with her colleague, and we were walking out of the cinema, after having watched Transformers. The caramel popcorn at GSC Queensbay is quite the treat. Sugary, crunchy and not a single unpopped corn to be found.

The movie was fun. And like the popcorn, the movie was meant to be enjoyed without being too critical. Big explosions, check. Big guns, check. Cheesy lines, check. Comedic relief, check. Eye candy, check. Good triumph over evil, check.

After the movie, the three of us decided to have dinner at Bakerzin. The place is sadly ostracized by Penangites. I wanted to try the Linguine Vongole that SP had during our first visit to Bakerzin. SP and her friend decided to try Bakerzin's new set menu. 2 side orders, 1 main dish, a dessert, a soup and a drink for $20. We thought it was quite a good deal, until we saw the portions. But wait. Before we go on a tirade about Bakerzin, think about it. You get to try so many flavours for only $20. It's not the best deal, but at least Bakerzin is trying.

I had the Linguine Vongole, so my portion was the largest. As much as I'd like to rave about Bakerzin, I'm afraid they let me down that night. Some of the clams had sand in them and the sauce was a little too plain for me. The Linguine Vongole was only average that night. The chef is not too consistent because the dish was very good on our first visit.

I wanted to order the Iced Chocolate Mint but was surprisingly persuaded NOT to order it. Very strange. So I ended up with the Iced Lychee Mint. It was refreshing, but seemed out of place with my Linguine Vongole.

Although it seemed we didn't enjoy our experience at Bakerzin that night, we did enjoy each other's company. In fact, we stayed and chatted until it was closing time. However the way we were asked to leave was a little crude. The waiter simply handed us the bill and mumbled something about closing time. Bakerzin could have handled it in a much more pleasant manner. Perhaps ask us if we wanted to order anything else since they were going to close the kitchen soon. That would be hint enough for us to know that they're going to close the restaurant.


However I had another opportunity to visit Bakerzin again, and this time I accompanied my sister. She's never tried Bakerzin so I suggested she try the Linguine Vongole. Wary of my last experience at Bakerzin, I asked the waitress to inform the chef about my preference for the sauce and I'm glad to say that I got the quality I had expected from Bakerzin. And my sister enjoyed the dish.

I also managed to order the Iced Chocolate Mint, and I did enjoy it. Chocolatey and minty, with some ice cubes to temper the sweetness of the chocolate.

I'm not sure if we'll ever visit Bakerzin again. Perhaps for their dessert and cakes. I'm just discouraged by the inconsistencies of their dishes.

No comments: