Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Misty Mooring

Before I go any further, let me say that I don't know how to appreciate wine. I've read wine reviewers go on and on about the fresh fruitiness of the bouquet, the raisiny, curranty and oakiness of the taste. I'd love to go get a bottle of the same wine and see if I could taste any pears, or raisins. I tried, but they're too expensive.

So with a firm budget in mind, and considerable online research written down on my moleskine, I set off to Jusco, Queensbay in hopes of finding a wine that I could enjoy. And I came back with this - Angove's Misty Mooring - Late Harvest Sweet White.



Quite a plain looking bottle, but the price was right, and since it's a Late Harvest variety, it's supposed to be sweet, ie a dessert wine. Late Harvest wines are normally made from grapes that are left to ripen on the vines. Ripe grapes have a higher sugar content, so the end product is sweeter and generally a higher percentage of alcohol.

Did I like it? Misty Mooring being of the Late Harvest grape variety is a dessert wine, and I enjoyed the extra sweetness. I tried sniffing the wine in hopes of discerning some kind of fruit to describe the smell, but all I could describe is that the wine has a fresh aroma... of grapes.

I found it tastes pretty good after a spicy meal, just like it's recommended by the wine maker. I also find myself enjoying the wine in small sips. It seems to be more flavourful that way.

2 comments:

Bart said...

Hi, Louis! I prefer slightly sweet wine too. Carrefour used to have Les Pasteliers which is a bit on the sweet side. Another nice sweet wine is the Lambrusco but it is lower in alcohol content. Usually, the sweetness depends on the fermentation - more fermentation, less sugar left and more acidic. Over ferment and we get wine vinegar :o) Cheers! *hic*

Louis said...

Hey Bart! Thanks for dropping a comment. I'll have to keep an eye out for the labels that you've suggested. I recently bought a Rose wine. I was kinda disappointed. But that's a blog post for another day.